New York / New Jersey Periodontist Dr. Eric Linden’s Credentials Professional and Academic Background, Memberships
Dr. Eric Linden is a Periodontist (gum disease specialist) in the field of Laser Periodontal Surgery which includes LANAP and LAPIP. In addition, Dr Linden performs traditional periodontics, bone regeneration, cosmetic enhancement procedures, and dental implants. He has been practicing his specialty since 1985. Dr. Linden is an occasional guest expert in the Oral Health community of WebMD. Dr. Linden is the “Most Thanked Periodontist in New York” on HealthTap, due to his helpful responses to people’s questions.
- Dr. Linden is one of only a handful of Laser Periodontal Surgeons to utilize a variety of lasers, each appropriate for a specific application. These include the Nd/YAG lasers (including LANAP/LAPIP), Erbium lasers at 2780nm & 2940nm, CO2 laser at 10,600nm, Thor LLT non thermal laser, and diodes at 820nm and 980nm.
- Dr. Linden treats peri-implantitis (implant disease) with lasers. He also trains other professionals in doing this, and is conducting related research.
- Dr. Eric Linden, D.M.D., M.S.D. is Laser Periodontics, Dental Implants, Bone Regeneration Assistant Attending Professor, Division of Periodontics, Section of Oral Diagnostic and Rehabilitation Sciences, Columbia University. in New York City. In that capacity, directs several clinical trials now in progress assessing the efficacy of laser treatment around failing implants.
- He currently serves on the American Academy of Periodontology (AAP) Committee on Peri-Implantitis.
- In addition, Dr Linden is currently teaching, certifying, and training faculty, residents, and doctors from around the world in various laser therapies, including the ND/YAG (LANAP) laser, Erbium 2780nm, 2940nm, CO2 10,600nm and diodes.
Dr. Linden’s Qualifications
Dr. Eric Linden was an early pioneer in the field of laser periodontal surgery. With 35+ years’ experience in periodontal specialty practice, he trains other doctors in laser procedures worldwide. He has treated patients from all over the world, performing tooth extractions, implants, laser periodontal surgery and other periodontal procedures with various lasers appropriate to each procedure. Dr Linden developed the first “closed” protocol with the CO2 10,600nm for the treatment of Peri-Implantitis.
Most periodontists still treat advanced gum disease with traditional surgery, while laser options would often be more effective and less painful and invasive. Although Dr. Linden still utilizes traditional surgery in some cases, a majority of his patients qualify for different laser protocols.
Many of Dr. Linden’s patients are direct referrals from other dentists, periodontists, hygienists, medical professionals, and educated patients seeking the most advanced, innovative, and least invasive techniques available to treat gum disease. Dr. Linden is currently preparing clinical cases for publication and has several clinical studies in progress and in publication.
More about Dr. Linden
In addition to LANAP and the various laser options, our practice includes a wide range of periodontal services such as comprehensive treatment planning for advanced prosthetic/periodontal cases, second opinions, dental implants, sinus augmentation, bone grafting, tooth extractions, ridge augmentation, cosmetic enhancement procedures, gingival grafts , gum re-contouring, and maintenance procedures.
We offer our services in comfortable, state-of-the-art offices with the latest in digital and laser technology. After a thorough clinical evaluation and review of dental radiographs, each patient is presented with a comprehensive treatment plan. All options are discussed in detail so the patient can make an informed decision.
Our philosophy is to provide the highest quality of care in the most conservative way possible. All of the supporting staff are certified and licensed by the States of New York and New Jersey and their constituent professional societies. Patient comfort is our primary consideration.
We pride ourselves in having maintained a high quality practice for over 30 years, caring for our patients with the latest proven techniques available. Our long-time and current patients appreciate the efforts of our office to maintain the highest level of care through our extensive continuing education schedule and constant goal of improving and learning new and predictable procedures.
- State University of New York at Binghamton, Harpur College. B.S. Biological Sciences
- Boston University School of Dental Medicine. D.M.D.
- University of Kentucky College of Graduate Dentistry, Postgraduate Program in Periodontics, Certificate of Specialization
- University of Kentucky Graduate School of Science, Master of Science in Dentistry
- Institute For Advanced Laser Dentistry Certification
Laser Use in Periodontics and Peri-implantitis – in Decisions in Dentistry, The Journal of Multidisciplinary Care
Laser Basics –Dimensions of Dental Hygiene
Implant-safe settings for SuperPulse 10,600 nm CO2 laser-assisted, closed flap peri-implantitis treatment. Implant Practice-US; February 26, 2016
SuperPulse 10.6 µm CO2 laser-assisted, closed flap treatment of peri-implantitis.Implant Practice-US; August 24, 2015
The July issue of the Journal of the American Dental Association has published a letter by Dr. Eric Linden in response to a controversal article regarding laser periodontal therapy. To read the full text of Dr. Linden’s letter, click the image below:
Research and Publications
- June 1, 2016. Laser Use in Periodontics and Peri-implantitis – in Decisions in Dentistry, the Journal of Multidisciplinary Care
- Laser Basics – in Dimensions of Dental Hygiene
- List of research on ResearchGate.
- August 24, 2015. SuperPulse 10.6 µm CO2 laser-assisted, closed flap treatment of peri-implantitis
- 2014. Pulsed Nd:YAG Laser Treatment for Failing Dental Implants Due to Peri-implantitis.
- July, 2011. Letter published in the Journal of the American Dental Association (JADA) in response to an inaccurate and misleading article regarding laser periodotal therapy.
- Tufts University School of Medicine Cancer Research Center. Department of Anatomy and Biochemistry. Research on Alpha-foetoprotein and Cancer Growth Factors.
- Cold Spring Harbor Research Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New York. Research conducted with Dr. James Watson in biochemistry and cancer proliferation.
- Publication of research in the Journal of Periodontology entitled “A Comparison of Post Operative Pain Experience Following Periodontal Surgery Utilizing Two Local Anesthetic Agents” This study has been referenced in two other recently published studes: “Efficacy and safety of bupivacaine versus lidocaine in dental treatments: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials” and “A dose-response study of adrenaline combined with lignocaine 2%: effect on acute postoperative pain after oral soft tissue surgery“.
- American Dental Association
- American Academy of Periodontology (member for 26+ years)
- New Jersey Dental Association
- Bergen County Dental Society
- American Association of Dental Research
- President-Northern Bergen County Dental Study Club
- Northeast Society of Periodontists
- Institute for Advanced Laser Dentistry
- New York County Dental Society
- State of New Jersey Dental License
- State of New Jersey Periodontal Specialty License
- State of New York Dental License
- Northeast Regional Licensed
- Commonwealth of Kentucky Licensed
- Southeast Regional Licensed
- Laser Periodontal Therapy License
- State University of New York at Binghamton
- Boston University School of Dentistry And Medicine.
- University of Kentucky School of Dentistry
- St. Barnabas Hospital Residency Program
- State University of New York At Binghamton, Academic Excellence Award in Biology
- Boston University School of Dental Medicine, Wallin/Cove Award For Excellence in Periodontology
- Southern Academy of Periodontology, Billy Pennel Award for “Excellence in Published Research”
- New York Dental Society Award for Scientific Presentation in the field of Periodontics and Regeneration
Dr. Eric Thomas Linden is listed at DentistDig.com